+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Rumour: Nintendo Planning New 3DS Model w/2nd Analog?

1. Location
    Oakville, Canada
    Why would Nintendo need an alliance?

Nintendo is, unlike Microsoft or Google, a hardware company also. They have factories, and they know how to build hardware (even if sometimes it's outdated).

Nintendo needs an innovative product, and it has such great brand name behind them, that they can easily venture into a different industry, sort of.

They can create the Nintendo Store, where you can buy all their virtual games, and be like iTunes for video games. A closed platform with Nintendo's control.

Again, they need to innovate in that space to succeed, right now the water are red.
    WiiTRi

2. Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by ADinet View Post
    Why would Nintendo need an alliance?

Nintendo is, unlike Microsoft or Google, a hardware company also. They have factories, and they know how to build hardware (even if sometimes it's outdated).

Nintendo needs an innovative product, and it has such great brand name behind them, that they can easily venture into a different industry, sort of.

They can create the Nintendo Store, where you can buy all their virtual games, and be like iTunes for video games. A closed platform with Nintendo's control.

Again, they need to innovate in that space to succeed, right now the water are red.
    Because no one but Nintendo loyalists would buy a Nintendo-brand phone with a Nintendo-OS that would likely be archaic and several steps behind the OS/online services of things people are used to in the cell phone space .... like iOS/Android/even Windows Phone.

The stuff Nintendo gets away (no messaging with friends, half assed and slow system updates, one new VC release a week, 1990s style interface, poor MP3 player, no video player, no apps, etc. etc. etc.) with in the gaming sector wouldn't fly in the smart phone sector at all.

That stuff is easier to get a pass on when it's device for fun and games, but a cell phone has to be functional for many people, working professionals and just adults in general. Cell phones certainly can be used for entertainment, but they're not a toy device, a lot of people need a reliable smartphone with a lot of functionality on it for their day-to-day tasks.

They would need someone else to build the OS/non-gaming services part of the phone for them or integrate an existing service.
    Last edited by Pete; 08-29-2011 at 07:46 PM.
    Pete D.
    Former Staff Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ADinet View Post
    There's already a few (eShop, DSiware, VC) poorly implemented ones. Lack of an account based system seems to be pretty much unheard of across phones/consoles except for Nintendo. You'd have thought that the company would have made an effort to resolve this with 3DS after nearly 5 years with Wii, but nope.
    Now playing: Animal Crossing New Leaf
    Please support your local Street Fighter.

"Beyonce is a franchise killer, she killed Destiny's Child, Rhythm Heaven, Austin Powers, and bankrupted that one game company for backing out of making Starpower: Beyonce. You need look no further than Beyonce Knowles to know the true face of terror, her body may be bootylicious but she is the world's sexiest Ted McGinley." - Brandon

Cheep Cheep

4. Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Errr ... so what the hell, looks like the 2nd analog *add-on* rumors might be true:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthre...441994&page=33

Jeeezus, did no one bother to ask Capcom whether they might want a second analog for Monster Hunter like 7-8 months ago?

I'm guessing Nintendo then just recently sealed the deal for MH on 3DS fairly recently (like post launch), but still, wow. What a clusterfuck of design decisions.

This existing 3DS model is going to be phased out quick IMO for a redesign early next year.
    Last edited by Pete; 09-06-2011 at 11:19 PM.
    Pete D.
    Former Staff Guru

5. Location
    Kobe, JAPAN
    Apple refreshes hardware for full price all the time and nobody bitches at them for it. I bet Nintendo can get away with it.
    Brandon Daiker
    Editor-in-Chief
    N-Sider.com

6. Location
    Kobe, JAPAN

WELP.
    Brandon Daiker
    Editor-in-Chief
    N-Sider.com

7. Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Yeah screw that shit!

Yikes....!

!
    Mark Medina
    Staff Writer and Australian Correspondent
    N-Sider.com

Nintendo's pretzels are making me thirsty!

My Hometown!

8. Location
    Kobe, JAPAN
    This is... painful. IT'S COME TO THIS, HAS IT.
    Brandon Daiker
    Editor-in-Chief
    N-Sider.com

9. Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I can't believe it's real.

10. Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post

WELP.
    That's ... embarrassing.

They better have a fucking sit down with all the big third parties regarding the Wii U and make damn sure that every design aspect of that system is to their liking before hand. None of this "oh crap, third parties won't/can't bring game X/Y/Z to our platform because of the hardware".
    Pete D.
    Former Staff Guru

11. Location
    Kobe, JAPAN

FORESHADOWED
    Brandon Daiker
    Editor-in-Chief
    N-Sider.com

12. Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I'm starting to think Japan may get a redesign *this* year. This is getting to Sega-levels of crazy.
    Last edited by Pete; 09-07-2011 at 01:16 AM.
    Pete D.
    Former Staff Guru

13. Location
    Kobe, JAPAN
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I'm starting to think Japan may get a redesign *this* year. This is getting to Sega-levels of crazy.
    I'll still buy it for no discernible reason, because I am a total idiot who has no brain.
    Brandon Daiker
    Editor-in-Chief
    N-Sider.com

14. Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I'm really starting to think a "3D" less "3DS" (renamed to something else) is coming next year. Larger screens, better battery, dual analog, option for devs to allocate all system horsepower to creating a 2D image (more horsepower).

This current model will stick around for people who just need to have a 3D glasses-free experience, and devs will be given the option of whether they want to add the 3D effect to their games or not.

Or maybe not. Who the hell knows anymore. Maybe Nintendo will gift out more VC games when the revision hits.
    Pete D.
    Former Staff Guru

That's me out.

Jeez. Part of me doesn't believe it - it's like an Onion article. The iWheel.

Hahahah. This is nuts if true. That is a monstrosity.

"Beyonce is a franchise killer, she killed Destiny's Child, Rhythm Heaven, Austin Powers, and bankrupted that one game company for backing out of making Starpower: Beyonce. You need look no further than Beyonce Knowles to know the true face of terror, her body may be bootylicious but she is the world's sexiest Ted McGinley." - Brandon

Cheep Cheep

17. Location
    Forest Park, IL
    Finally, Nintendo looking to its trusted friend Sega for business advice.

There are no words.
    Cory Faller
    Owner / World-Builder
    N-Sider.com

I'm actually a little pissed off, in as much as anyone can be pissed off about Video Games.

Sure, I was looking forward to some Starfox and OOT action on my travels next month, but I was far, FAR more excited about getting a 3DS along with Mario Kart and 3DLand for my son this Christmas.

I can't imagine getting this model now. Bloody annoying.

19. Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Joey View Post
    I'm actually a little pissed off, in as much as anyone can be pissed off about Video Games.

Sure, I was looking forward to some Starfox and OOT action on my travels next month, but I was far, FAR more excited about getting a 3DS along with Mario Kart and 3DLand for my son this Christmas.

I can't imagine getting this model now. Bloody annoying.
    Yeah I don't know how they can sell the 3DS to more informed consumers this holiday. This is so blatantly obvious that a better model is not only coming, but imminent.

The 01.net article on the state of the Wii U paints a pretty bleak picture too, combined with their bumbled E3 unveil of that, I don't think they really know what they're doing there either.
    Pete D.
    Former Staff Guru

20. Location
    Kobe, JAPAN
    What is HAPPENING?!?!?!!!
    Brandon Daiker
    Editor-in-Chief
    N-Sider.com

Yeah I'm annoyed, but you've got to laugh. Looking at that image… seriously WTF.

It's so… massive. Is this the first peripheral in the history of peripherals that is actually bigger than the thing it's… peripheral to?

I reckon I'd end up holding it just a little to the side as well. Lol.

22. Location
    Forest Park, IL
    Maybe it's only for Monster Hunter, and there will never be a redesign that incorporates any of those features. Maybe it's a one-off, maybe it's like that Guitar Hero DS controller/cradle. That would make it alright, right guys.

I mean come on even suggesting that a redesigned system could support another analog stick on the right above or below the buttons, how on earth could they fit L2 and R2 buttons on the thing. They just wouldn't fit on a handheld, right guys.

right guys
    Cory Faller
    Owner / World-Builder
    N-Sider.com

23. Location
    Kobe, JAPAN
    Quote Originally Posted by Tathanen View Post

right guys

right
    Brandon Daiker
    Editor-in-Chief
    N-Sider.com

24. Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I would assume Nintendo will want future Monster Hunter games (lots of them most likey), so I'm thinking dual analog is standard from here on out. This won't be a one-off.

Kid Icarus and Luigi's Mansion 2 will probably use it too, MGS3 will almost certainly use it, probably Resident Evil Revelations too.

I'm not even going to sugarcoat -- that is the fugliest video game hardware ever created but I guess it could make the current 3DS more comfortable to hold.

Besides, they could always introduce a new cradle for L2/R2 :P
    Last edited by Pete; 09-07-2011 at 03:01 AM.
    Pete D.
    Former Staff Guru

Finally, Nintendo looking to its trusted friend Sega for business advice.

There are no words.
    This goofy looking thing got them a Monster Hunter title to be available in Japan right as Sony is trying to launch Vita.

Stupid like a fox.

26. Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by N-ZERO View Post
    This goofy looking thing got them a Monster Hunter title to be available in Japan right as Sony is trying to launch Vita.

Stupid like a fox.
    How did they not account for this like 8-10 months ago though? There's even a fair amount of space under the B/A/X/Y buttons on the current 3DS where an analog could've gone. It never occurred to anyone that they might want a Monster Hunter game on the 3DS? Did they not talk to Capcom about this? I just don't understand how they could have made a design gaffe this large and have to make up for it this soon after the system launch.

Do they not like sit down with third parties and ask them about the hardware? I'm guessing no, looking at this. Either that or there's some kind of massive communication problem.

Yes it's great they are getting Monster Hunter, but shit, if I didn't have a 3DS, I wouldn't touch one with a 30-foot pole right now. It's obvious the "real deal" redesign is coming and soon, so I think Nintendo is shooting themselves in the foot here in a way by driving more people into the "I'll wait and see for the revision" line.

This "accessorie" never should've been necessary, the need for a 2nd analog should been vetted and re-vetted among all developers (particularly ones working on a game as important as Monster Hunter) several times before launch.
    Last edited by Pete; 09-07-2011 at 03:41 AM.
    Pete D.
    Former Staff Guru

Hahahaha.

This has got to be the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen in my life, and it will accomplish nothing.

It doesn't do a thing to fix the 3DS' core problems. "I don't have a second analog stick" is not a problem. It is a slight thing that makes it a little tricky to port one or two existing games.

Software, software, software. I've harped on it a million times before this year. I don't even think MH is any sort of achievement. Oh sure, it'll pull a few people in, but at this cost? It is abundantly clear both Nintendo and Capcom (if they in fact pushed for this hilarity) are so irredeemably creatively bankrupt now that they should be considered non-issues going forward.

Here, Iwata, if you want to get off the "ejection seat", as one headline put it: stop this prostrating yourself before the dinosaurs of the past BS. Cancel all your unannounced remakes and sequels bar NSMB3 (I know you've got at least a few already baking... add Animal Crossing to the hit list too) and double-down on taking what you released this past March and justifying it. Justify the hell out of it. Fire anyone whose idea of justification is "let's remake game X that twelve people liked in 1993 with some new feature." Those guys are anchoring you to the past.

Simultaneously, embrace the guys in a garage with ideas who would love to develop on an inexpensive portable platform where they don't have to make virtual phone controls. Shower them with cheap (actually, at this point, better make 'em free) dev kits and bust the eShop wide open. Hire some of them! Remake the 3DS in this new image, not this unfocussed monstrosity you're staring down.

As a consumer, I'm cautiously pleased, because my investment hasn't (yet) been obsoleted. If 3DS2 comes out next year and does more than is attachable to my current 3DS, then I'm unhappy.
    Last edited by zigg; 09-07-2011 at 06:53 AM.
    Matt Behrens, Lapsing Gamer | matt@zigg.com | twitter:@zigg | Wish List

28. Location
    Forest Park, IL
    Matt you have officially become bizarro-world Pete. This post is parody, right? I mean obviously no one was asking for a second analog stick but, "I like a certain kind of game. Accordingly, the strategy Nintendo MUST FOLLOW TO SUCCEED is canceling all of the games I don't like, and only releasing the kinds I do." Shit, even Pete doesn't suggest CANCELING the games he doesn't like. Lawd.

Anyway I think the problem with the "this thing won them Monster Hunter" line of logic is... will MH fans in Japan REALLY buy this thing? Will they pull away from their existing PSP Monster Hunters and PS3 HD remakes to play a portable version of an existing Wii game, when it means they have to slap this MONSTROSITY on their 3DS? Japanese gamers are known for actually UTILIZING the "portable" aspect of their handhelds. There is no way this thing will ever fit in a pocket, it certainly won't fit in any existing 3DS cases, it will have to be stuck in some sort of gigantic purse. It completely kills the system's ability to portable. Honestly, I can't see Japan feverishly buying Monster Hunter on a system that is only supporting it via life support. The trade-offs here have completely negated the gain of having the franchise in the first place.
    Cory Faller
    Owner / World-Builder
    N-Sider.com

29. Location
    New York City
    Quote Originally Posted by zigg View Post
    Hahaha

This has got to be the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen in my life, and it will accomplish nothing.

It doesn't do a thing to fix the 3DS' core problems. "I don't have a second analog stick" is not a problem. It is a slight thing that makes it a little tricky to port one or two existing games.
    I posted in the other thread. But I think it is rather significant. If it allows Monster Hunter and Call of Duty to appear in the platform in an acceptable manner. You are probably talking about the biggest intellectual property in the West, and one of the hottest intellectual properties in the East. And vice versa. It actually allows the 3DS to act as a 1:1 Wii U controller. Which perhaps Nintendo thinks it can diminish some of the Vita's mechanical advantages.

Software, software, software. I've harped on it a million times before this year. I don't even think MH is any sort of achievement. Oh sure, it'll pull a few people in, but at this cost? It is abundantly clear both Nintendo and Capcom (if they in fact pushed for this hilarity) are so irredeemably creatively bankrupt now that they should be considered non-issues going forward.
    Well software is necessary. All types. For as many interested and potential consumer demographics as possible. No one has ever argued against that. But Nintendo can develop great software for whatever wacky hardware they release, they problem is that third-party developers have options and may abstain great popular properties from appearing on the system at all if Nintendo does not provide them with some consideration.

Here, Iwata, if you want to get off the "ejection seat", as one headline put it: stop this prostrating yourself before the dinosaurs of the past BS. Cancel all your unannounced remakes and sequels bar NSMB3 (I know you've got at least a few already baking... add Animal Crossing to the hit list too) and double-down on taking what you released this past March and justifying it. Justify the hell out of it. Fire anyone whose idea of justification is "let's remake game X that twelve people liked in 1993 with some new feature." Those guys are anchoring you to the past.
    That is something you have to address Mr. Miyamoto with. A Board of Director, and General Manager of a gigantic R&D division called EAD. Unfortunately, most of the 3DS software blunder woes can be linked to him since he is authorizing and in many cases handicapping the projects. Mr. Iwata is practically the father of touch generations. Iwata himself came up with Brain-Age and the foundation of several inventive software and ventures for the DS. Oddly enough, Iwata and Sakamoto came up with most of the inventive and wacky first-party DS software.

Simultaneously, embrace the guys in a garage with ideas who would love to develop on an inexpensive portable platform where they don't have to make virtual phone controls. Shower them with cheap (actually, at this point, better make 'em free) dev kits and bust the eShop wide open. Hire some of them! Remake the 3DS in this new image, not this unfocussed monstrosity you're staring down.
    You want this. I want this. The world wants this.
    Last edited by Anthony; 09-07-2011 at 10:55 AM.

Matt you have officially become bizarro-world Pete. This post is parody, right? I mean obviously no one was asking for a second analog stick but, "I like a certain kind of game. Accordingly, the strategy Nintendo MUST FOLLOW TO SUCCEED is canceling all of the games I don't like, and only releasing the kinds I do." Shit, even Pete doesn't suggest CANCELING the games he doesn't like. Lawd.
    I think you are maybe conflating what I like (which, you know, I'm actually settling down into a "well there are some nice things I wouldn't mind playing coming up" as more announcements come out and I talk to my other 3DS-owning friends—as a consumer I'm cautiously okay with this move) with what I think needs to happen to insure viability and relevance going forward.

Anyway I think the problem with the "this thing won them Monster Hunter" line of logic is... will MH fans in Japan REALLY buy this thing? Will they pull away from their existing PSP Monster Hunters and PS3 HD remakes to play a portable version of an existing Wii game, when it means they have to slap this MONSTROSITY on their 3DS?
    The theory goes that Tri suffered from not being portable... although then, as you point out:

Japanese gamers are known for actually UTILIZING the "portable" aspect of their handhelds. There is no way this thing will ever fit in a pocket, it certainly won't fit in any existing 3DS cases, it will have to be stuck in some sort of gigantic purse. It completely kills the system's ability to portable.
    The 3DS is almost on the wrong side of portable as it is, so yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    I posted in the other thread. But I think it is rather significant. If it allows Monster Hunter and Call of Duty to appear in the platform in an acceptable manner. You are probably talking about the biggest intellectual property in the West, and one of the hottest intellectual properties in the East. And vice versa. It actually allows the 3DS to act as a 1:1 Wii U controller. Which perhaps Nintendo thinks it can diminish some of the Vita's mechanical advantages.
    I should note that as it turns out, apparently, MH doesn't need it. Edge said that it'll be optional for Tri, I saw in my brief GAF-skimming. Which makes this thing even weirder.

But so it enables FPS. I don't think that was a win that was worth the R&D to build, because I'm not convinced that there's a market for portable FPS. These are games built around a constant, steady network connection. I don't know this for a fact—I'm not well-versed in the genre as it stands today—but I don't suspect they'd work real well in the MH-style local wireless situation either... FPS players like their networks, and all their friends are already on networks Nintendo can never tap into.

Well software is necessary. All types. For as many interested and potential consumer demographics as possible. No one has ever argued against that. But Nintendo can develop great software for whatever wacky hardware they release, they problem is that third-party developers have options and may abstain great popular properties from appearing on the system at all if Nintendo does not provide them with some consideration.
    That's a nice sentiment, but I don't think the value proposition is there in chasing down the genre du jour. Other, established players are already there and doing it really well—now you are trying to break into their territory. It's a lot of effort and it's easily headed off by those established players. It's more rewarding to instead concentrate one's efforts in explaining why, through compelling software, you have built a machine like this.

The 3DS' own unique properties, few as they may be, have been left for dead in this quest; as a result, few see a reason to invest in the platform when they are already getting the games they want with the platforms they already own.

That is something you have to address Mr. Miyamoto with. A Board of Director, and General Manager of a gigantic R&D division called EAD. Unfortunately, most of the 3DS software blunder woes can be linked to him since he is authorizing and in many cases handicapping the projects. Mr. Iwata is practically the father of touch generations. Iwata himself came up with Brain-Age and the foundation of several inventive software and ventures for the DS. Oddly enough, Iwata and Sakamoto came up with most of the inventive and wacky first-party DS software.
    This is pretty true, yes! Maybe it's time to demote Mr. Miyamoto In any event, the change does need to start at the top... Iwata needs to change the way software is made for Nintendo systems externally just as much as it needs to be changed internally.

You want this. I want this. The world wants this.
    We may differ on the how, but the what is fairly clear, yes. When I say there is a dearth of ideas, it's not just from personal desire, but also in general. Those ideas that could make Nintendo relevant may be totally distasteful to me and I might just go back to other pursuits... but they're needed nonetheless.
    Matt Behrens, Lapsing Gamer | matt@zigg.com | twitter:@zigg | Wish List

31. Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Anyway I think the problem with the "this thing won them Monster Hunter" line of logic is... will MH fans in Japan REALLY buy this thing? Will they pull away from their existing PSP Monster Hunters and PS3 HD remakes to play a portable version of an existing Wii game, when it means they have to slap this MONSTROSITY on their 3DS? Japanese gamers are known for actually UTILIZING the "portable" aspect of their handhelds. There is no way this thing will ever fit in a pocket, it certainly won't fit in any existing 3DS cases, it will have to be stuck in some sort of gigantic purse. It completely kills the system's ability to portable. Honestly, I can't see Japan feverishly buying Monster Hunter on a system that is only supporting it via life support. The trade-offs here have completely negated the gain of having the franchise in the first place.
    Well I guess it depends how long "this monstrosity" will last. The same 01.net article that stated this analog add-on was coming also said a redesigned 3"DS" is also coming. The writing is on the wall with that.

This is likely more to give current 3DS owners some kind of way (albeit massively hideous) to play the same way I guess.
    Last edited by Pete; 09-07-2011 at 02:52 PM.
    Pete D.
    Former Staff Guru

Funny, how Sony seems to be actively doing this with Vita. I'm sure I read something recently about Sony lending out Vita dev kits for FREE to developers so that they could make games for it. I don't know what it is...maybe Sony no longer sees a market for home consoles in Japan and is making one heck of an effort to ensure they own the portable space with their next machine? Also, maybe the piece was blown out of proportion, but I'm sure I've also read something about Reggie saying they're not interested in garage developers.

As much of a fanboy I am, I think this is a little funny and probably the kick up the arse Nintendo deserves. The company got too big for its boots and often sticks a few too many middle fingers up to standards in the industry. Sure, this has worked for it on a number of occasions, but there are some things you just shouldn't ignore. Personally, I am not too fussed with this dual analogue business, I just think it looks fugly. I've never been good with dual analogue controls (not really into FPS games).

Finally, I don't think Monster Hunter isn't going to solve the problems, just like Matt. I think we're way past the days where one or two titles on a system call the generation/system's success. Last one was Xbox 1 with Halo? DS did well because it had a vast amount of good and appealing games. 360 and Wii also.

I really think Nintendo shouldn't have dropped the non-gamer titles completely - there may have been some people they could have retained from the Brain Training days.

Anyway...looking forward to how this plays out! If anything, I've learned to try and not jump in right at the beginning with Wii U.

Cheep Cheep

33. Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I'm guessing the rumored Sakamoto game could be some kind of new I.P.

Nintendo can't seriously be working on nothing but sequels.

Still it's hard not to see Mario Kart 7 + Monster Hunter 3G + Super Mario 3D Land all in a two month span + the massive price drop + holiday rush not doing something.

It's just the general attitude/vision behind it all that's more concerning. Not that I even expect the "buy an entirely separate device just to play video games on the road" model to last much longer to begin with, but Nintendo is not sharp. They clearly were not prepared for this hardware transition.

As fugly as that add-on is, I want it just for play Mario Kart 7 on, because I wasn't looking forward to play that with the current 3DS ergonomics ... using the L/R buttons ends up hurting my hands after a while. Looks like this thing has beefier shoulder buttons and a softer/rounded grip.
    Pete D.
    Former Staff Guru

Nothing - and that includes Kart - will get me to use that thing.Ever.

Anyway, I agree we are only talking about a 2nd stick because of this title's importance in Japan. 3DS has issues over and above a missing button.

I don't know much about MH but it pretty much propped up PSP by itself right? It's a title that can validate a platform by itself?

If that's the case, fine, getting it on 3DS is 'key'. But the question of why Nintendo are only acting like that 'now' is still a big one. It simply does not make sense and if it is truly an oversight then Nintendo have lost a lot of credibility in my mind.

But... I wouldn't imagine Nintendo care much for big FPS franchises in the portable space. So if it really does all boil down to MH, I'm wondering if they were under the impression that they were NOT getting this title, and proceeded with the design based on that knowledge.

35. Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Well there are other games coming on the 3DS that probably would benefit from this ... Kid Icarus, Luigi's Mansion 2, Resident Evil Revelations, Metal Gear Solid 3DS, and who knows what else. These are not FPS.

If they were going to make a platform that had these kinds of games as key releases, then it was a clear design oversight to not just include a second analog stick in the first place. Especially when the existing unit as is has a lot of dead space where a second analog could've gone anyway.

If they want that kind of third party support, then they have to clear their freaking hardware designs with third parties first. If they don't, then they don't.

You can't have it both ways Nintendo, pick one friggin' side of the fence to be on. And if it was Miyamoto that had final say on the 1 or 2 analog stick issue, I'm thinking in the future he is not going to be given final say on decisions like that (and probably shouldn't have that much sway to begin with, he's a software designer, not a hardware guy).
    Pete D.
    Former Staff Guru

36. Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Maybe the 3DS "slow" sales (and "low" sales figures) is a reason why Nintendo is doing this. They might not care about the "few" people who have one, because they know everyone (like Brandon) will buy the redesign anyway.

So for Nintendo, getting CoD and MH is more important than screwing the early adopters.

I can't say I disagree either. I mean, someone like a Brandon openly says he'll get the new one anyway. And I'm the same, so really with this....Nintendo are playing a masterstroke...!?
    Mark Medina
    Staff Writer and Australian Correspondent
    N-Sider.com

Nintendo's pretzels are making me thirsty!

My Hometown!

37. Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by MJM View Post
    Maybe the 3DS "slow" sales (and "low" sales figures) is a reason why Nintendo is doing this. They might not care about the "few" people who have one, because they know everyone (like Brandon) will buy the redesign anyway.

So for Nintendo, getting CoD and MH is more important than screwing the early adopters.

I can't say I disagree either. I mean, someone like a Brandon openly says he'll get the new one anyway. And I'm the same, so really with this....Nintendo are playing a masterstroke...!?
    I really doubt Nintendo planned any of this to go this way. Everything with the 3DS has pretty much blown up in their face so far, this is Nintendo scrambling to salvage the remaining part of their fiscal year.

They are throwing everything and the kitchen sink at this ... $80 price drop, 20 free downloadable games for "ambassadors", Mario Kart 7, Mario 3D Land pushed into this year, Monster Hunter Tri G this year too, plus an analog stick add-on ... this platform is not even 9 months old yet, lol.

They must sell a ton of 3DS systems this Nov/Dec in particular if they have any prayer of reaching the sales targets they revised just a few weeks ago and they need Monster Hunter to get them there.
    Last edited by Pete; 09-07-2011 at 08:15 PM.
    Pete D.
    Former Staff Guru

Taking bets on an announcement of a 'way better' 3DS... prior to Nintendo selling that ton of systems this Nov/Dec?

39. Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Joey View Post
    Taking bets on an announcement of a 'way better' 3DS... prior to Nintendo selling that ton of systems this Nov/Dec?
    The only way they could do that is if said revision was actually ready to sell for November/December.

They either have to deny up and down for the rest of the year that a revision is coming or they have to announce it and then release it immediately to prevent people from saying "well, I'll just wait until that new 3DS is out and buy something else for Christmas".
    Pete D.
    Former Staff Guru

What so wrong about a company redesigning a console this early into its lifespan? I mean if they going to go through with this they might as well do it early.

There was only a 2 year gap between the GBA and the SP. In fact, the SP was a huge improvement over the original with things like a backlight, rechargeable battery, and the clamshell design. How is this any different?

Nintendo is always making small adjustments to their portable systems, this is only slightly more significant.

I'd be perfectly fine with them releasing a redesign sometime next March, if they intend to do it, the earlier the better really.

The only way they could do that is if said revision was actually ready to sell for November/December.

They either have to deny up and down for the rest of the year that a revision is coming or they have to announce it and then release it immediately to prevent people from saying "well, I'll just wait until that new 3DS is out and buy something else for Christmas".
    The thing is the bulk of the sales for Nov/Dec are uninformed consumers or people who don't really care that a redesign is imminent.

You act like the average consumer is looking around the internet for every bit of Nintendo news. I doubt their holiday purchases will be dictated by internet rumors and a page scan from a japanese magazine.
    Last edited by Sage; 09-07-2011 at 08:59 PM.

"I'd like to nominate the little square as a pompous-ass word." --zigg

||-o)-- Pirate beheading is fun!!
    --

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information